Certificate of No Impediment

Document Legalisation

The apostille is often required on several documents when UK citizens plan to marry outside of the UK.

One of the most common documents we legalise for overseas marriages is the certificate of no impediment (CNI). This is an official government issued certificate used as evidence that there is no objection to your proposed marriage.

We make the apostille service as simple as possible.

For only £54 we arrange for your CNI to be issued with the apostille.

Order Now
  • Frequently used for:

    • Overseas Marriage
  • Processing time:

    1 to 2 Days

Original or Copy?

Certificates of No Impediment have the apostille issued directly on the original document to verify the signature of the issuing registrar. We are unable to process certified copies.

Where can you obtain a Certificate of No Impediment?

If you currently reside in the UK you should contact your local registry office and notify them of your intention to marry overseas. You may be asked to provide evidence of your nationality,address and name if there been any changes to this. Notice will then be given and the certificate will be issued after 21 days providing there is no objection.

If you are a British National residing outside of the UK then you may need to contact the closest British embassy for further assistance.

The CNI consists of 8 pieces of information for both parties-.

  • Name & Surname
  • Age
  • Condition to Marry (e.g. Single,Previous Marriage Dissolved)
  • Occupation
  • Place of Residence
  • Period of Residence at the address
  • Location where the marriage will be taking place
  • Nationality & District of Residence

How to order an apostille for your Certificate of No Impediment?

Simply purchase your apostille online and post your original document to us. The Apostille will be issued in typically just 1-2 working days.

What other documents are needed?

If you plan to marry overseas you may be asked to legalise various documents. This can often include birth certificates and sworn statements confirming your marital status.

The requirements differ for each country and if you are not sure which documents require the apostille we recommend you contact your wedding organiser or the relevant embassy or consulate for advice.