Proof of Single Status with Apostille

When getting married abroad you may be asked to provide legalised documents to an authority overseas. This often includes a birth certificate as proof of identity and documentation that proves you are single and not already married.

In addition, if you have been previously married you may need to provide evidence you are now divorced. This is normally the decree absolute from a UK court. Any name changes by deed poll may also need to be legalised.

5 Documents Commonly Required for Overseas Marriage

Are you are planning to get married on a white sandy beach or another far away location? With so many things to plan it’s likely you have not considered which documents you may need to take with you. In addition to this, do the documents need to be legalised with the apostille?

Overseas authorities may request a variety of different documents before they will conduct your overseas marriage. Below we discuss the 5 most common documents we process for clients who are getting married abroad.

Full UK Birth Certificate

Marriage Commonwealth

Getting Married in a Commonwealth Country

We often hear from clients who are having difficulty obtaining a certificate of no impediment when planning to get married in a country that is a member of the commonwealth. Although this document is frequently requested, the UK does not issue this document for marriages in commonwealth countries. Conflicting information from the local authorities in the country you intend to marry will undoubtedly cause confusion, fortunately there are alternatives.
apostille certificate of no impediment

How to Obtain a Certificate of No Impediment

If you are planning on getting married outside of the UK you may be requested to provide a certificate of no impediment. This certificate is requested as evidence that you are allowed to marry. It is common practice and quite simple to acquire.

The certificate of no impediment is issued in the UK by the local register office (registry office). The registrar will place a notice in the office of your intended marriage. If no objections are received the certificate of no impediment will be issued after approximately 3 to 4 weeks. The fee is typically in the region of £30 to £40.